5.27.2011

A Sharp Mind

I'm reading Game of Thrones right now, by George R.R. Martin. It's engrossing so far and I think, 125 pages in, that I've gotten the characters straightened out. The chapters alternate between seven different characters and it took me a bit to keep track of who was who, who they were talking about, and the relationships between them. Anyway, I wanted to share a quote from one of them, Tyrion Lannister. He's dwarfed, misshapen, and has just been asked why he reads. He says,

"I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." Tyrion tapped the leader cover of the book. "That's why I read so much, Jon Snow."

A mind needs books. I like that thought :)

I'm going to go read the next chapter now.


P.S. I seem to be having technical difficulties again. I'm unable to comment at the moment. I can't stay signed in and sometimes the OpenID thing doesn't work either. I hope this little hiccup doesn't last much longer but, in any case, know that I'm reading and enjoying y'alls posts even though I cannot comment.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that it gets fixed! And I like the idea that a mind needs books. I'm off to read the next chapter of a book I'm reading about overcoming fears!

    Have a good holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too! I think I've fixed it so that I can comment on my own site (via pop-up window instead of having the comment box embedded below the post), but I'm still having trouble on other people's blogs. I have to post either anonymously or with an OpenID. Which makes me sad, because then I don't my profile picture...and I really like my pic :p

    ReplyDelete

Do share your thoughts - I enjoy reading them :)